Freud, Moïse et la religion. Une lecture de Paul Ricœur
Keywords:Moses, Michelangelo, Freud, Religion, Exodus, Rank, Judaism, Repression, Culture, Guilt, Neurosis, Economic Theory of Culture, Topical-Economic Model, Illusion, Dogma, Obsessional Neurosis, Desire
AbstractFreud places the triad of art, morality and religion at the heart of a cultural sphere that remains determined by the topical-economic model. Within this framework that this article examines Ricœur’s interpretation of religion in Freud. Through Ricœur’s writings on psychoanalysis, it presents an analysis of the figure of Moses in Freud before evoking the Freudian conception of religion in the economic theory of culture. The first part of the article notes the difficult articulation between the two figures of Moses in Freud’s writings: Michelangelo’s Moses and that of Moses and monotheism, according to Ricœur’s interpretation. In a second step, the article returns to the different themes addressed by Ricœur in relation to the question of religion in Freud’s thought, such as neurosis, repression, guilt and illusion.
ASKANI Hans-Christoph, Le pari de la foi (Genève : Labor et fides, 2019).
BUSACCHI, Vinicio, Ricœur vs. Freud. Métamorphose d’une nouvelle compréhension de l’homme (Paris : L’Harmattan, 2012).
FREUD Sigmund, Nouvelles conférences d’introduction à la psychanalyse, tr Rose-Marie Zeitlin (Paris : Gallimard, 1989).
FREUD Sigmund, Totem et Tabou (Paris : Gallimard, 1993).
FREUD Sigmund, L’Avenir d’une illusion (Paris : Points, 2011).
FREUD Sigmund, L’Homme Moïse et la religion monothéiste (Paris : Folio Essais, 1993, Presses universitaires de France (« Quadrige »), 2011).
FREY Daniel, La Religion dans la philosophie de Paul Ricœur (Paris : Hermann, 2021).
GINDELE Thomas, Le Moïse de Freud, Au-delà des religions et des nations, déchiffrage d’une énigme (Paris : L’Harmattan, 2013).
LEMERER Brigitte, Les deux « Moïse » de Freud (1914-1939). Freud et Moïse : écriture du père 1 (Ramonville Saint-Ange : Érès, 1997).
PATURET Jean-Bernard, Au-delà de Freud, une culture de l’extermination ? (Paris : Cerf, 2009).
QUINODOZ Jean-Michel, Lire Freud (Paris : Presses universitaires de France, 2004).
RICŒUR Paul, De l’interprétation. Essai sur Freud (Paris : Le Seuil, « L’ordre philosophique » (1965), Points Essais, n°298, 1995).
RICŒUR Paul, Le Conflit des interprétations : Essais d’herméneutique I (Paris : Le Seuil, « L’ordre philosophique », 1969).
RICŒUR Paul, La Religion pour penser. Écrits et conférences 5 (Paris : Le Seuil, 2021).
RICŒUR Paul, Écrits et conférences 1, Autour de la psychanalyse (Paris : Seuil, 2008).
RICŒUR Paul, « Psychanalyse et valeurs morales », in Écrits et conférences 1, Autour de la psychanalyse (Paris : Seuil, 2008), 167-204.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons 4.0 License (Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works), or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- Noncommercial—other users (including Publisher) may not use this Work for commercial purposes;
- No Derivative Works—other users (including Publisher) may not alter, transform, or build upon this Work,with the understanding that any of the above conditions can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a pre-publication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.