Une juste reconnaissance. La place du juridique dans l’articulation de la “petite éthique”
Keywords:Subject of law, Imputation, Responsibility, Capable Man, Practical Wisdom
AbstractThis essay critically examines the place that the reference holds relative to law, and more broadly to the legal phenomenon, in the final phase of Ricœur’s reflection on the capable subject. References to the law and more in general to the legal sphere play an increasingly relevant role in the later reflections of Ricœur, in particular in articulating its “little ethics.” This is done, by contrast, through a deep reconfiguration of some fundamental legal categories, in particular that of legal subject and that of responsibility. The implications of this theoretical renewal will be examined both as regards the internal articulation of Ricœur’s late thought as well as regards their potential repercussions for the contemporary legal theory.
Aeschlimann, Jean-Christophe, ed. Éthique et responsabilité. Paul Ricoeur. Neuchâtel: La Baconnière, 1994.
Barthe, Yannick, Michel Callon, and Pierre Lascoumes. Agir Dans Un Monde Incertain. Essai Sur La Démocratie Technique. Le Seuil, 2014.
Cane, Peter. Responsibility in Law and Morality. Portland, OR: Hart Publishing, 2002.
Chérot, Jean-Yves, Benoît Frydman, and Collectif. La science du droit dans la globalisation. Bruxelles: Bruylant Edition, 2012.
Druet, François-Xavier, and Etienne Ganty, eds. Rendre Justice Au Droit: En Lisant Le Juste de Paul Ricoeur,[Actes d’un Séminaire Organisé Par l’Espace Philosophique Des Facultés Universitaires Notre-Dame de La Paix, Namur]. Presses universitaires de Namur, 1999.
Fuller, Lon L. The Morality of Law, Revised Edn. Yale University Press, 1969.
Genard, Jean Louis. La grammaire de la responsabilité. Paris: Cerf, 1999.
Hachez, Isabelle, François Ost, Yves Cartuyvels, Hugues Dumont, Philippe Gérard, and Michel Van de Kerchove, eds. Les sources du droit revisitées - vol. 3 : Normativités concurrentes. Collection générale. Bruxelles: Presses de l’Université Saint-Louis, 2012.
Hart, Herbert Lionel Adolphus. Punishment and Responsibility: Essays in the Philosophy of Law. Oxford University Press, 1968.
Kelsen, Hans. Théorie Pure Du Droit, 1962.
Kemp, Peter. “Au-Delà de La Justice: Le Juste Entre Le Droit et l’éthique.” In La Sagesse Pratique. Autour de l’œuvre de Paul Ricœur, edited by Jeffrey Andrew Barash and Mireille Delbraccio, 111–16. Paris: Centre national de documentation pédagogique,
Ost, François. “Au-Delà de l’objet et Du Sujet, Un Projet Pour Le Milieu.” In Quel Avenir Pour Le Droit de l’environnement?, edited by François
Ost and Serge Gutwirth, 9–19. Bruxelles: Publications des Facultés universitaires Saint-Louis, 1996.
Ricoeur, Paul. “La Justice, Vertu et Institution.” In La Sagesse Pratique. Autour de l’œuvre de Paul Ricœur, edited by Jeffrey Andrew Barash and Mireille Delbraccio, 11–28. Paris: Centre national de documentation pédagogique, 1998.
Ricoeur, Paul. Le Juste. Paris: Seuil, 1995.
Ricoeur, Paul. Le Juste 2. Paris: Esprit, 2001.
Ricoeur, Paul. Lectures 1. Autour Du Politique. Seuil, 1991.
Ricoeur, Paul. Parcours de la reconnaissance. Paris: Stock, 2004.
Ricoeur, Paul. Soi-Même Comme Un Autre. Seuil, 1990.
Supiot, Alain. Homo Juridicus. Essai Sur La Fonction Anthropologique Du Droit: Essai Sur La Fonction Anthropologique Du Droit. Le Seuil, 2009.
Thibierge, Catherine. La Force Normative. Naissance d’un Concept. LGDJ, 2009.
Villey, Michel. “Esquisse historique sur le mot responsable.” Archives de philosophie du droit, La responsabilité, XXII (1977): 45–58.
Zaccaria, Giuseppe. “Expliquer et Comprendre, Argumentation et Interprétation Dans La Philosophie Du Droit de Paul Ricœur.” In La Sagesse Pratique. Autour de l’œuvre de Paul Ricœur, edited by Jeffrey Andrew Barash and Mireille Delbraccio, 133–42. Paris: Centre national de documentation pédagogique, 1998.
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- The Author retains copyright in the Work, where the term “Work” shall include all digital objects that may result in subsequent electronic publication or distribution.
- Upon acceptance of the Work, the author shall grant to the Publisher the right of first publication of the Work.
- The Author shall grant to the Publisher and its agents the nonexclusive perpetual right and license to publish, archive, and make accessible the Work in whole or in part in all forms of media now or hereafter known under a Creative Commons 4.0 License (Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works), or its equivalent, which, for the avoidance of doubt, allows others to copy, distribute, and transmit the Work under the following conditions:
- Attribution—other users must attribute the Work in the manner specified by the author as indicated on the journal Web site;
- Noncommercial—other users (including Publisher) may not use this Work for commercial purposes;
- No Derivative Works—other users (including Publisher) may not alter, transform, or build upon this Work,with the understanding that any of the above conditions can be waived with permission from the Author and that where the Work or any of its elements is in the public domain under applicable law, that status is in no way affected by the license.
- The Author is able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the nonexclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the Work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), as long as there is provided in the document an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post online a pre-publication manuscript (but not the Publisher’s final formatted PDF version of the Work) in institutional repositories or on their Websites prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work. Any such posting made before acceptance and publication of the Work shall be updated upon publication to include a reference to the Publisher-assigned DOI (Digital Object Identifier) and a link to the online abstract for the final published Work in the Journal.
- Upon Publisher’s request, the Author agrees to furnish promptly to Publisher, at the Author’s own expense, written evidence of the permissions, licenses, and consents for use of third-party material included within the Work, except as determined by Publisher to be covered by the principles of Fair Use.
- The Author represents and warrants that:
- the Work is the Author’s original work;
- the Author has not transferred, and will not transfer, exclusive rights in the Work to any third party;
- the Work is not pending review or under consideration by another publisher;
- the Work has not previously been published;
- the Work contains no misrepresentation or infringement of the Work or property of other authors or third parties; and
- the Work contains no libel, invasion of privacy, or other unlawful matter.
- The Author agrees to indemnify and hold Publisher harmless from Author’s breach of the representations and warranties contained in Paragraph 6 above, as well as any claim or proceeding relating to Publisher’s use and publication of any content contained in the Work, including third-party content.